A common issue that can occur when installing a WordPress themes is “The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.” error message being displayed when uploading or activating the theme.
One of the reasons you may receive this error is if you have uploaded the incorrect file. You have 2 options for downloading your theme.
1. Installable WordPress file only. (below)
2. All files and documentation (full zip folder). You will need to extract and locate the installable WordPress file. (below)
Please make sure you are uploading only the installable theme which is called Name Of theme-name.zip. If you upload ALL these files you will receive an error.
Way 1: Upload the theme via WordPress admin panel
- Log in to your WordPress admin panel.
- Go to Appearance > Themes
- Click on "Add New Theme"
- Click "Upload Theme"
- Browse and select the theme.zip file to ‘Upload’
- Click "Install Now" => Click "Active"
Way 2: Upload the theme via FTP
- WordPress theme files can also be uploaded manually via FTP.
- Upload the theme files to /wp-content/themes/ folder on your hosting
- Login to your WordPress admin panel and go to Appearance > Themes -> Click "Active" your theme.